If you’re going to the UUA’s 2014 General Assembly conference in Providence, RI this June and have a smart phone or tablet, you’ll want to make sure to download the brand new UUA General Assembly app. I just gave it a test drive and it is fabulous. But don’t wait until GA, you’ll want to downloaded it now and start using it so come General Assembly, you’re good to go!
The UUA General Assembly 2014 app is the official interactive mobile app for the annual meeting of the Unitarian Universalist Association. Inspirational worship services, informative workshops, entertaining programs, and a bustling exhibit hall help make GA an unforgettable experience for the thousands of Unitarian Universalists that attend. (From iTunes App Store)
Before GA, make time to PLAY!
The UUA General Assembly 2014 app is LOADED with features. So many, in fact, that I think you need to spend some time with the app before arriving at General Assembly. You don’t want to waste valuable GA time getting oriented to the app — do that in advance.
This mobile app allows you to:
- View schedules, explore sessions, and find after parties.
- Create your own personal schedule and access location and speaker information.
- Access interactive maps and find local places.
- Checkin to sessions, meetings, keynotes, and exhibitor booths.
- View an entire feed of the event activity, including attendee checkins, photos, and more.
- Earn points, badges, and prizes for being active on the app and at the event.
- Expand your professional network and have fun!
Listed features include:
- Update — a quick way to share photos, comments, where you are, and which session you’re attending
- Activity — keep your finger on the pulse of the event. See what people are doing, view photos from the event, find trending sessions and topics, and “like” and comment on other attendee checkins
- Agenda — view the full agenda and related information (session time, room number, speaker info, etc.) Attendees see who’s at the event, and connect with them on the app
- Exhibitors — find exhibitors and sponsors, checkin to leave comments and feedback
- Profile — your official app profile, highlighting your name, profile photo, title, and organization
- Leaderboard — see who has the most points at the conference and climb your way to the top with checkins
See? It’s loaded… So, do take time to set up a profile, figure out how to navigate to events and venues, share photos, and follow people you want to connect with at GA before you arrive at GA.
A Word of Caution
We don’t want to have thousands of UUs gather for General Assembly and then have all social media traffic for General Assembly get redirected into an app that only people at GA can see. GA should be the most active UU social media week of the year, not a time when Unitarian Universalism goes silent. Use the app, but don’t hide in it…
Keep it Social
Make sure that if you use the app, you still Tweet and share Facebook and other social media updates. The app lets you connect Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn accounts to the app and select which updates get sent out via those channels.
Tag it #UUAGA
Don’t forget to include the #UUAGA tag in any update you post via the app that you are also sending to Twitter! The app does not hashtag for you.
Don’t Forget Your Friends
While this app allows us to connect with others at GA in powerful ways, much the way Twitter & Facebook connect us year round, we need to make sure we don’t totally abandon those who are not plugged in! Keep your heart open and your eyes out for those who are not digitally connected at General Assembly.
Photos of Public Witness
The app does let you take and share photos. However, if you take and share photos of public witness and and use the app to send them to Twitter, they appear as links in your tweets, not automatically displayed Twitter photos. During public witness I’m going close the app and focus on sharing Twitter photos and videos made with Vine — that will get more reach.
You can connect with me, Peter Bowden, on the GA app and on Facebook & Twitter. During General Assembly, this year I will be focusing on talking ministry & media with all of you.
Also, look for my Leading Congregations ad in the GA program book. That’s the home for my interfaith congregational consulting practice . At General Assembly I’m going to be booking the rest of my speaking, training and coaching for the year. If you wanted to work with me in 2014-2015, make sure to connect with me at GA. I expect to be booked for year by July 15h.
Download the UUA General Assembly App: